The United States of America on college education
- Student: I'm not going to go to college because I don't want to go into debt.
- USA: YOU USELESS PIECE OF SHIT. YOU'RE GOING TO AMOUNT TO NOTHING YOU FUCKING SCUMBAG. YOU'RE THE REASON WHY MY TAXES ARE SO HIGH.
- Student: I'm just going to attend a small community college instead.
- USA: HAHAHA YOU WERE TOO STUPID TO GET INTO A GOOD UNIVERSITY. ENJOY YOUR MCDONALD'S DIPLOMA.
- Student: I attended a four year university and received a diploma in a field I am interested in. Now I am $50,000+ in debt.
- USA: YOU DUMBASS. WHY THE FUCK DID YOU GO TO COLLEGE WHEN YOU KNOW YOU COULDN'T AFFORD IT? YOU DIDN'T EVEN CHOOSE A USEFUL MAJOR EITHER. GOD PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME SICK.
Don't ever hesitate. Reblog this. TUMBLR RULE. When you see it, REBLOG IT.
- The original post only has US helplines. I've added UK helplines underneath. It would be great if people could add numbers from everywhere in the world.
- Depression Hotline: 1-630-482-9696
- Suicide Hotline: 1-800-784-8433
- LifeLine: 1-800-273-8255
- Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386
- Sexuality Support: 1-800-246-7743
- Eating Disorders Hotline: 1-847-831-3438
- Rape and Sexual Assault: 1-800-656-4673
- Grief Support: 1-650-321-5272
- Runaway: 1-800-843-5200, 1-800-843-5678, 1-800-621-4000
- Exhale: After Abortion Hotline/Pro-Voice: 1-866-4394253
- Child Abuse: 1-800-422-4453
- UK Helplines:
- Samaritans (for any problem): 08457909090 e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Childline (for anyone under 18 with any problem): 08001111
- Mind infoline (mental health information): 0300 123 3393 e-mail: email@example.com
- Mind legal advice (for people who need mental-health related legal advice): 0300 466 6463 firstname.lastname@example.org
- b-eat eating disorder support: 0845 634 14 14 (only open Mon-Fri 10.30am-8.30pm and Saturday 1pm-4.30pm) e-mail: email@example.com
- b-eat youthline (for under 25's with eating disorders): 08456347650 (open Mon-Fri 4.30pm - 8.30pm, Saturday 1pm-4.30pm)
- Cruse Bereavement Care: 08444779400 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Frank (information and advice on drugs): 0800776600
- Drinkline: 0800 9178282
- Rape Crisis England & Wales: 0808 802 9999 1(open 2 - 2.30pm 7 - 9.30pm) e-mail email@example.com
- Rape Crisis Scotland: 08088 01 03 02 every day, 6pm to midnight
- India Self Harm Hotline: 00 08001006614
- India Suicide Helpline: 022-27546669
- Kids Help Phone (Canada): 1-800-668-6868, Free and available 24/7
- suicide hotlines;
- Argentina: 54-0223-493-0430
- Australia: 13-11-14
- Austria: 01-713-3374
- Barbados: 429-9999
- Belgium: 106
- Botswana: 391-1270
- Brazil: 21-233-9191
- China: 852-2382-0000
- (Hong Kong: 2389-2222)
- Costa Rica: 606-253-5439
- Croatia: 01-4833-888
- Cyprus: 357-77-77-72-67
- Czech Republic: 222-580-697, 476-701-908
- Denmark: 70-201-201
- Egypt: 762-1602
- Estonia: 6-558-088
- Finland: 040-5032199
- France: 01-45-39-4000
- Germany: 0800-181-0721
- Greece: 1018
- Guatemala: 502-234-1239
- Holland: 0900-0767
- Honduras: 504-237-3623
- Hungary: 06-80-820-111
- Iceland: 44-0-8457-90-90-90
- Israel: 09-8892333
- Italy: 06-705-4444
- Japan: 3-5286-9090
- Latvia: 6722-2922, 2772-2292
- Malaysia: 03-756-8144
- (Singapore: 1-800-221-4444)
- Mexico: 525-510-2550
- Netherlands: 0900-0767
- New Zealand: 4-473-9739
- New Guinea: 675-326-0011
- Nicaragua: 505-268-6171
- Norway: 47-815-33-300
- Philippines: 02-896-9191
- Poland: 52-70-000
- Portugal: 239-72-10-10
- Russia: 8-20-222-82-10
- Spain: 91-459-00-50
- South Africa: 0861-322-322
- South Korea: 2-715-8600
- Sweden: 031-711-2400
- Switzerland: 143
- Taiwan: 0800-788-995
- Thailand: 02-249-9977
- Trinidad and Tobago: 868-645-2800
- Ukraine: 0487-327715
HOLY FUCK THE NOTES.
HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THE NOTES
reblog EVERY TIME THIS IS ON YOUR DASH .
If you follow me and you don’t reblog this, we’re gonna have a little issue.
I will 500% judge you if you don’t Reblog
More people reblogged this than there are in my state??
Hey let’s do this
REBLOG I TELL YOU
I reblog this every time it’s on my dash
This dominant narrative surrounding the inevitability of female objectification and victimhood is so powerful that it not only defines our concepts of reality but it even sets the parameters for how we think about entirely fictional worlds, even those taking place in the realms of fantasy and science fiction. It’s so normalized that when these elements are critiqued, the knee-jerk response I hear most often is that if these stories did not include the exploitation of women, then the game worlds would feel too “unrealistic” or “not historically accurate”. What does it say about our culture when games routinely bend or break the laws of physics and no one bats an eye? When dragons, ogres and magic are inserted into historically influenced settings without objection. We are perfectly willing to suspend our disbelief when it comes to multiple lives, superpowers, health regeneration and the ability to carry dozens of weapons and items in a massive invisible backpack. But somehow the idea of a world without sexual violence and exploitation is deemed too strange and too bizarre to be believable.
And even more telling. When people (guys) complain about ‘realism’ in games or movies, they are not really talking about literal realism. That’s not what they mean. The word they are reaching for is verisimilitude - in other words: that which breaks the illusion.
When we say of a piece of fiction that contains dragons, flying suits of armor, or aliens that it is ‘realistic’, what we really mean is that it feels real - that the characters reactions, the world built around the fantastical elements and how the non-fantastical elements interact with them seems “true” to us. We look at it and nod and say to ourselves inside “Yes, that is how someone would react to seeing a giant monster” or “Yes, that seems like how society would react to an alien invasion” - the world around the made-up stuff is carefully designed and seems thought-out enough that we buy it emotionally, even if we know that logically it is nonsense.
So when someone complains that a medieval fantasy world does not feel “realistic” without the ugly oppression, dehumanization, and violation of women as a standard background element, what they are saying is that those details feel right to them. That the world, without that misogyny, is not emotionally satisfying. They are saying they need that there for the world to make sense.
THIS. This so hard.